Friday, May 29, 2009

Right of Thirst - Frank Huyler

A very moving story!

It is a great feeling to discover a good author - and Frank Huyler will definitely go places. An excellent book with a fascinating story of a naive American doctor who after a personal tragedy goes to a third world country to help people affected by natural disasters.

The setting seems to be in Pakistan but the author is careful not to mention the country directly and get involved in any of the politics. With great flair he is able to take the reader to the more important real tragedies of life and how different cultures handle them.

The characters come strongly to life and the author has done an excellent job of keeping the story moving at a fast pace. This is a book that one will not easily forget.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sam,

I'm glad you liked the book, and thanks so much for that post. I appreciate it a lot.

Frank

S (Sam) Santhosh said...

Dear Frank,

Thanks.

A quick question : If the setting is in Pakistan, how come one of the army generals has a Hindu name?

Rgds,

Sam

Unknown said...

Dear Sam,

an astute question-- the answer is that I tried to blur the line a bit, in subtle ways, I hope. the north/south directions are off as well.

I realize you may not want to give out your email address, but mine is F.Huyler@gmail.com-- if you have the time I'd love to ask you a few more questions, especially given your background and reading taste.

cheers,

Frank

S (Sam) Santhosh said...

Dear Frank,

No problem. I would be happy to interact with you.

I have sent you an email with my personal email id.

Rgds,

Sam